Skip to main content

Initial Visual Studio Design time support added to master branch!


Achievement unlocked!


With the merge of Pull Request #213 (PR #213), Kenji Uno added support for Visual Studio Design Time also known as DDEX. 

A most wanted feature


From the statistics of pageviews I get from a previous post about design time support, I can affirm that this is a most wanted feature of Npgsql. And I'm very glad to say that Npgsql is finally having it. I'd like to thank Kenji Uno for all his hard work to make this happen. 

Npgsql DDEX support is done through an extension file which can be easily installed in Visual Studio. This is a much better situation than we had before where it was needed to use an experimental instance of Visual Studio. 


History


The code started with wwindcloud in PR #67 and Kenji started to play with it and said he was working to get it usable in VS2012 and 2013. 


In order to be able to add more fixes to the code, Kenji started the PR 213 and started to add more features and fixes until now when we merged all the changes back to master branch.

How to use it


Kenji Uno wrote a tutorial about how to build and use this feature. Below are some screenshots from the tutorial.

Please, give it a try and let us know if it works for you. Remember that this is a work in progress, so you may face bugs and problems. 

I'd like to thank Kenji Uno for all his hard work to get this feature working. And also thank wwindcloud for the initial work.


Sample screenshots


Here is an screenshot when you double click the .vsix file to install the extension:





When you install it, you will be able to select it when creating a new data source connection:











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Npgsql Design time support preview available for download!

UPDATE2 : For some reason, Blogger lost the original post. I had to republish it. UPDATE : Jerónimo told me that you  must  use the Npgsql version which is inside the zip file in order to make it work. After so much time (more than I wanted it to take) Npgsql finally has a initial design time support for Visual Studio! This work was done by Jerónimo Milea. Jerónimo let me know he was working on DDEX support on this thread  after I said I was working on DDEX support for Npgsql. He sent me his working copy and I started to play with it. Note that as a preview version many things may not work ok and we wanted you to provide us feedback so we can fix any bugs. You can download the project file from our downloads page . Design time support is provided as a zip file containing support code as well as a copy of Npgsql project file. So, everything you need to start working with design time support is already packaged for you. When you unzip the file, you will have ...

Npgsql Tips: Using " in (...)" queries with parameters list and "any" operator

Hi, all! We have received some users questions about how to send a list of values to be used in queries using the "in" operator. Something like: select foo, bar from table where foo in (blah1, blah2, blah3); Npgsql supports array-like parameter values and the first idea to have this working would try to use it directly: NpgsqlCommand command = new NpgsqlCommand("select * from tablee where field_serial in (:parameterlist)", conn); ArrayList l = new ArrayList(); l.Add(5); l.Add(6); command.Parameters.Add(new NpgsqlParameter("parameterlist", NpgsqlDbType.Array | NpgsqlDbType.Integer)); command.Parameters[0].Value = l.ToArray(); NpgsqlDataReader dr = command.ExecuteReader(); but unfortunately this won't work as expected. Npgsql will send a query like this: select * from tablee where field_serial in ((array[5,6])::int4[]) And Postgresql will complain with the followin...

Initial EF-6 support added to Npgsql

In my last post , I said there is a pull request by Pēteris Ņikiforovs to add support for EF-6 to Npgsql. Yesterday, I merged this pull request to the master branch of Npgsql . With this merge, Npgsql has officially initial support for EF-6! How to compile For now, in order to compile Npgsql to use EF-6, you have to open the solution file NpgsqlEF6.sln. Later,  as suggested by Pēteris Ņikiforovs , the idea is that we create a new configuration inside main project solution instead of maintain 2 separated projects. Another thing you will need to compile Npgsql is the latest release of EntityFramework assembly through NuGet: PM> Install-Package EntityFramework -Pre That's it! Now you will be able to play with Npgsql and EF-6. Check out my previous post about how to use Npgsql with EntityFramework. I'd like to thank Pēteris Ņikiforovs for his patch. And maxbundchen for his patch about Open/Close events needed for EF-6. Please, give it a try and let me know ...